In May 2012 my wife and I took a two-week trip to Sydney, Cairns and Melbourne. I wrote 35,000 words about the whole damn trip, and I took pictures. If you're planning on visiting our greatest friends in the Southern Hemisphere, you can learn a bit about the place, and what a big idiot I am, by taking this in.
Notes on the Country of Australia
Each of the adventures below is conveniently arranged in the sequence in which in occurred.
- Day One: Arrival in Sydney. The Rocks. Exploring the Circle Quay. The Opera House.
- Day Two: Sydney Harbor Bridge. Royal Botanic Gardens. Meeting a friend.
- Day Three: Swimming with sharks in Manly. A visit to Bondi Beach.
- Day Four: The Blue Mountains. The Three Sisters. Katoomba. Norman Lindsay.
- Day Five: Jogging tourism. Modern art. Hyde Park Barracks. Darling Harbor. Goodbye to Sydney.
- Day Six: Welcome to Cairns. Kuranda Scenic Railway. Koala gardens. Cableway. Karaoke.
- Day Seven: The Great Barrier Reef.
- Day Eight: An ATV ride. The Cairns Lagoon. Walking the waterfront. Night Markets.
- Day Nine: Goodbye to Cairns. Hello to Melbourne. Eureka Skydeck. Melbourne at Night.
- Day Ten: Meeting the Hees. Mornington Peninsula. Birdwatching. Dinner with friends.
- Day Eleven: Kangaroos up close. The Dandenongs. The Immigration Museum. A comedy show. Young and Jackson's.
- Day Twelve: Melbourne's street art. Cook's Cottage. The Old Treasury. Queen Victoria Market. Old Melbourne Gaol. Australian rules football. Goodbye to Australia.